We must first understand that Google's algorithms place a high importance on the popularity of a site to define its positioning in the pages of search results.
How to evaluate the popularity of a website will you say? And well Google has its own recipe, held more or less secret, but what we do know is that Link Building plays a leading role. Indeed, it seems quite logical to consider that if a site receives many inbound links from other sites is that it is considered worthy of interest and trusted by a large number of people, so it is popular! Note that other search engines like Bing and Yahoo are no exception to this rule.
If one pushes the reasoning a little further one suspects that all the links are not equal to the eyes of the search engines. Google therefore also assesses the "quality" of links to your site to find out if it should give them more or less weight. This includes the popularity of the site linking to your site and the relevance of the context in which your site is listed in relation to the link's landing page content.
How To Get Quality Backlinks?When you want to run a Link Building campaign for a page of your website, the first element to take is account is the theme. We must get priority links from sites dealing with the same subject as your page or related topics. We will privilege sites with high PageRank and old sites that have more notoriety in the eyes of search engines.
You will also need to work with the anchor texts of your links, that is to be clickable text that contains the link. For example, you can use the name of the site, the article or its URL. We can also use keywords from the article. The only anchor text is not enough, however, today Google seems to consider the semantic context as another important factor. We are interested here in the text that directly surrounds the link to your page. Your link will be perceived as better if this text contains words or phrases semantically close to the main keywords of your page.
I am going to explain here a non-exhaustive list of practices used in SEO to generate backlinks to your website:
- Get a quote in an article written by a blogger or an editorial site: this approach requires soliciting the appropriate editors, some of whom are sometimes paid for their services, but they are usually highly valued links.
- Publish on the directories and sites of press releases: these are little basics of Link Building, we will favor those with strong PageRank and with a strong thematic proximity as well as generalists.
- Use links exchange: I make a link to your site you link to mine, it's simple and many resorts to this technique, but attention to consistency between sites and the risk of penalties in case of excess.
- Post comments on forums and blogs: many of these links are in "nofollow" but participate in what is called your link profile (see below). We just mention that in general relevance = persistence so take care of your interventions!
- Propose social sharing buttons: even if their inclusion by Google seems less important lately, they remain a source of inbound links to exploit, especially the "+1" of Google.
How Should Be Creation of Your Link Building ProfileSo far we have seen that to boost its natural referencing it is necessary to create a lot of links to your website and focus on quality links. This is not all, however!
Faced with these two basic rules, many smart guys have tried to artificially generate the most possible links to their site to boost their positioning in SEO. Google and others have adapted to detect profiles of "SEO fraudsters" and apply penalties. Exit, therefore, the most artificial sources such as links farms, or links without any thematic or semantic proximity because they now have a negative impact on your SEO.
This is where the very important should of "link profile" comes in! To not look like a cheater to Google, the link profile of your site should look as natural as possible. The goal is that the search engines do not have the impression that you have worked your Link Building to excess in an optimization logic.
Getting a natural link profile is essentially based on the diversity of links to your site. Among the elements to be diversified are:
- The sources: domains as varied as possible, with small sites, big sites, old sites but also some young people, ...
- The supports: we will mix directories, social networks, comments, ...
- The distribution of links: rather than focusing all the links to the homepage of your site better vary the landing pages used.
- Anchor texts: be careful not to always use the same expressions to carry your links.
- The types of links: You may have already read that links with the attribute "nofollow" do not pass "juice" and therefore seem to have no interest in SEO? Think again to have a "natural" link profile - a website must have a certain proportion of "nofollow" links that often come from forums or blog comments. In the eyes of a search engine, owning a significant proportion of "nofollow" links is a sign of the absence of over-optimization of your Link Building in an SEO logic. These famous "nofollow" links contribute indirectly to the SEO of your site.
Tools To Monitor Your BacklinkAs you must have realized, Link Building is a real job that, if it wants to be effective, will necessarily be time-consuming. Generating links of quality and quantity requires time for research and reflection especially in the field of semantics. The creation of an SEO dashboard, including some KPIs on the number of incoming links and their origin, is highly recommended for regular monitoring. Then you have to know how to spread your effort over time. Take care at your own pace of creating backlinks to avoid the peaks that may appear artificial in the eyes of Google.
Here are some tools that will allow you to monitor the evolution of your backlink generation strategy while seeing more clearly about the quality of your incoming links: